Thursday, May 06, 2004

TOPIC: Youth ministry...

Just finished yet another book on youth ministry...good one by Andy Stanley and Stuart Hall called The Seven Checkpoints...it was a good read and very practical...here is the problem I am having...there are so many books out there telling you how to do youth ministry that's its hard to know which one is right...they don't generally give you a specific gameplan, but they tell you things like:

-You need a purpose statement
-There are seven things that each student needs to get out of your ministry
-You need this curriculum that will span the Bible and relevant topics over the six years you have them
-Today's youth ministry should be about postmodernism and should reflect vintage Christianity

Which is right?...or maybe the question should be, how much of each is right?...I would love to find the best way to reach the youth in my area...and I know there is no silver bullet that will guarantee 'success,' but it would help if they all got on the same page...I guess it's a matter of trial and error and finding out what works for the kids I get...I'll let you know how it turns out...

No comments: