Wednesday, October 12, 2005

What do we do?

Events over the past days have made me stop and think...as I've stated in the past, I hate it when that happens...it makes my head hurt...seriously, the recent earthquake in Pakistan and India breaks my heart...the report I read today said that they are estimating the death toll to be around 41,000 people...FORTY ONE THOUSAND!!!...I have a hard time comprehending that number...the whole city of Cape Girardeau has a population of around 35,000 people, less than the number of the dead in Pakistan and India...unbelievable...

Now, not too long ago, New Orleans was devastated by Hurricane Katrina...the Church was praised, rightfully so, because of how it reached out to those affected by the storm and its resulting flooding...the way believers banded together to serve was something to behold and to be proud of...the Church continues to minister to these individuals...but if we put the need in New Orleans on a continuum with the current need in Pakistan, it really doesn't measure up...I certainly don't want to downplay the need in our own backyard; it's a real need...but the question it raises in my mind is, what will we do?...the Church was Jesus in a real way to the New Orleanites; how are we going to be Jesus to the Pakistanis?...how will we serve them?...or perhaps the better question is, will we?...

No comments: